Sangamo Construction Company was founded in 1925. It was born out of a partnership between John Mueth Jr, B.F. Nelch, Franklin Nelch, and John Bretz. All were Springfield businessmen involved in construction with considerable firms of their own. They aggregated their capacities under the name Sangamo in order to pursue larger public works projects that were beginning to materialize in the market place. They consumated their partnership at an eating establishment in Springfield known as the Sangamo Club and chose the same name for their firm.